Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Disaster! Or is it? (It is)


I think there are times when a person's dumb@$$ level spikes. A time when sufficient sleep, a healthy diet, and being surrounded by one's friends are just not enough to keep someone from doing something really stupid.

I had previously jailbroken my iPhone (with Ziphone), so maybe that moment came when I first did that little experiment. Don't be too hard on me. I was lured by the promise of apps before apps, and cheap phone calls through VOIP. It was a beautiful dream..

Anyway, feeling I had done enough research to know that most people who jailbroke their phone were fine in the upgrade, I decided to do it. It erased everything. EVERYTHING. I'm just lucky that I downloaded my photos before I did it, because that's all thats left. All my notes (of which I had many) and phone #s...gone. I was, for a brief moment, alone in the dark.

Terrible, right? Well...I've decided this isn't all that bad a thing. In this modern age the Facebooks and Googles of the world are saving me a bit of time in rebuilding that electronic Rolodex. Almost everyone I've ever met under the age of 65 is on one site or another, so I should be mostly up and running in a day or so. I give it 10 years before most of the really important information in a person's life isn't stored in a file cabinet or PC. We're pretty much there already: all the important stuff in your life (banking, friends, SS#, deed to house, tax history, credit report, medical files) is well on its way to being on record with Google or Apple or Facebook, or Myspace, or Microsoft, or whateverisnextorhasthefundstobuyyourdigitalself.

I'm sure everything will be fine, though. At least I can call my brother again. ;)

No comments: